When was the last time you went to bed with a clear mind and woke up feeling well rested?
If you are one of my INFINITE ACHIEVER MEMBERS you know that I rate sleep as a pretty high priority. I'm one of those individuals who needs at least 8 hours of quality sleep to feel like I'm functioning properly and luckily my routine provides me with that most of the time.
Sleep is so integral to how we feel, how we think, how we move and how we live, yet many of us don't give it the attention that is needed.
I have some tips to help you with your sleep, but keep in mind that sleep troubles are not always your fault.
There are things you can do during your waking hours to contribute to your needed rest. Some people, like myself, like to lay horizontal even if just for 10 minutes during the day. I feel it helps to reset the body and it makes my energy flow so much better. Other things you may want to try during your waking hours is some meditation or breathwork to help boost productivity, mood, energy and focus.
If you haven't downloaded my free Wellness Tracker yet you may want to consider doing that! It will help you keep track of your self-care habits.
Why is sleep important?
Major restorative functions occur during sleep. This includes tissue and cell repair and muscle growth to name a few. Not enough or inadequate sleep can lead to the development of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, respiratory disorders and health challenges. Not to mention the negative effect it may have on your mental health, emotional health, memory and stress response.
How much sleep do you need?
No clear answer here. The hours of sleep you need depends on your age, sex, lifestyle and how you feel in general. Everyone is different but usually between 7.5-8 hours will benefit you.
Studies show that being horizontal by 10:00 p.m. is best for your circadian rhythm.
How to Sleep Better: 6 Tips for Healthy Sleep
1. Sound Machine: I find sleeping with a sound machine with nature sounds to be the most relaxing for me. Many sound machines have lots of different sounds to choose from so explore what works for you. Give it a try.
2. Darkness: Turn off all lights. Try to get your room as dark as possible or try a sleep mask and room darkening curtains. Darkness stimulates natural melatonin production and help induce sleep.
3. Get Cozy: A quality mattress, blankets of altering weights and a cool room temperature will help you get asleep and stay asleep.
4. Reduce Caffeine: Reducing or eliminating your caffeine will most likely improve your sleep. Try decaf or stick to your morning coffee so it wears off before bedtime.
5. Exercise: Research shows the exercise can help you fall asleep faster and improve the quality of your sleep. 30-45 minutes four to five times a week should do the trick. Before bed try some stretching or gentle yoga to help wind down in the evening. Do what works best for you!
6. Journal: Clearing your mind before bed may prevent you from tossing and turning. An easy way to achieve this is to journal. Get those thoughts out of your head and onto paper!
Here's to better rest!
I hope this helps motivate you to prioritize rest! Be gentle on yourself and try to incorporate the changes that make the most sense for you. You don't have to change everything at once but every step you take is worth your time because it shows you are taking care of yourself - and you are worth it.
Check out how becoming an INFINITE ACHIEVER MEMBER can help you make you a priority!
Don't forget to grab your free Wellness Tracker. It may help you identify where you may be draining your energy or interfering with your sleep.
Do you have sleep suggestions?
Let us know your helpful tips on how to sleep better? You can share what works for you in the comments below!
Happy sleeping and resting!